Preparing for the Sermon - The Significance of the Reformation
Prepare your heart for the Sermon by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together hearing God's Word.
You will find suggestions for thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- On Sunday, Pastor Bret will close out the Elders "The Five Solas of the Reformation" series with a sermon on "The Significance of the Reformation." During the month of October, Desiring God has been posting short biographical sketches on several of the key individuals involved in the Reformation. For this week’s preparing for the Sermon, consider reading about some of these reformers highlighted so far in their "Here We Stand" website posts.
- You can find a summarized version in the Sermon Study packet below or go to the Desiring God site to find the full series of biographical sketches by clicking here.
- The Sermon Study equipping class notes are available online for anyone wanting to dig deeper. Please review this week's notes to help study this passage. Click here for the notes.
- Review each of the reformer's lives and look for how the five sola's are found in their lives.
- Look for ways their lives and their pursuit of the glory of God alone should encourage us and convict us in our daily approach to Scripture and living holy lives in obedience to Scripture.
- Have you ever lived in such a dedicated manner to fulfill God's purpose? What risks and freedoms would you give up to live a life of holiness, loving God and others so magnificently?
- Prayerfully ask God to make us bold through Scripture and the Holy Spirit for the glory of God.