Preparing for the Gathering - 1 Cor. 11:11-16
Prepare your heart for our Sunday Morning Gathering by looking through these suggestions that will assist you in making the most of our time together.
You will find tangible suggestions for putting scripture to action in your personal life and in our corporate body, links to the songs we will sing, and lyrics for you to prepare for our corporate singing.
Please see the Preparing for the Sermon post for suggestions in thinking more critically through the passage, meditating more intently on the text, and prayerfully seeking wisdom to deepen your understanding of the passage to be preached this Sunday.
- Prayerfully read through 1 Corinthians 11:2-16 again focusing on your hearts response to the passage. Examine your response in light of the fact that this passage is the Word of God and has authority over you.
- Consider Paul’s arguments and reflect on Pastor Bret’s analogy of military rank not changing the value of a human but their responsibilities. What would it be like if a private on the front lines of battle decided to stand up and take charge of his unit; does he have the freedom? Does he have the automatic authority if he declares it? Can a general leave his position with no one to take command in his absence and send himself to the front lines to fight as well?
- Write out the implications found in the family, society, and ultimately spiritually if we decide to up and leave our designed gender role for another? Do you see any of these playing out in your families, our church, or the culture around us? Are there areas you need to align more biblically in your life? How can you use this passage and these sermons to begin discipling or being discipled by others?
- Look for ways you align more closely with our culture's views on gender roles than with Scripture. Who or what are you claiming is your authority? What does this do the credibility of your witness as a Christian who is under the authority of God?
- Pray for the Spirit to open your eyes to other believers in our church who struggle with aligning to these passages and come alongside them in love and grace and utilize the sermons to begin walking more in line with the biblical gender roles.
- Click the links below to find the lyrics and recordings of the songs planned for our gathering this Sunday; practice the songs, study the lyrics and sing together.
- Pray for those leading our corporate gathering this week and for the Holy Spirit’s work as the Word of God is further explained and applied: Dawson Bryant: music; Mark Krystyniak: Elders' prayer & scripture reading; Bret Capranica: teaching.