Preparing for Sunday - Matthew 13
- Read all of Matthew 13. List all of the parables you find. What is similar about them? What phrases and words do you see repeated often?
- Read Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23. Make a list of the different soils and how the seed sown in them responds. What is the main point of this parable? Are each of the soils a different type of Christian? False-Christians? How do you know?
- What is the relationship between "hearing" and "understanding" in these soils?
- Have you personally seen responses to the gospel like those described in this parable? How, when, who? How does this parable guide you in interpreting these sorts of responses?
- How would this parable assist you in praying for and interacting with people in your life who are responding to the gospel?
- Examine your own heart. What sort of response do you see to God's word? What evidence to you see?
- Who could you now pray for in light of what you have thought through in studying this parable? Pray for them now.
- How do you need to respond to God in light of what you have learned about in your own heart's response to God and his word? Repentance, gratitude, humility, etc.
- What sin does this passage bring up that is personal to you? How does this passage encourage your heart? Express both of these either in confession or thanksgiving?
- How could you pray for the church this weekend in anticipation of our gathering based on this passage?
- Pray for those who do not know Christ who will be with us on Sunday. Pray that God will show them their need for the Savior and they will respond in faith.
- Pray for believers to be encouraged and convicted where it is most helpful and necessary. Pray that Christ's body will be equipped and prepared to serve one another well.
- Pray for those who will be leading our gathering to serve in the most edifying way: Dawson Bryant, music; Sam Karl, Elders' prayer and Scripture Reading; Bret Capranica, teaching.
- Listen to the music we will sing and read through the lyrics. Prepare yourself to sing with understanding and zeal for Christ this Lord's Day.
Songs for Sunday
Morning and Evening Gathering - February 9, 2014